Saturday, June 23, 2012

Secret Avengers #28

Writer: Rick Remender
Artist: Renato Guedes
Color: Matthew Wilson w/ Jeremy Mohler
Letterer: Chris Eliopoulos
Publisher: Marvel Comics
Price: $3.99
Release Date: June 20th, 2012

It is good to see some of these tie-in stories coming to a close. I really wasn't too attached to the battle on the Kree planet or what was happening with Captain Marvel. It is hard to think that the Phoenix is going to be stopped somewhere when, if you are reading the main story or other tie-ins, you know it reaches Earth without issue. With that aside, this ended up being a decent piece of story telling.

To start, I really like Ms. Marvel in this story. She is passionate and strong and (spoilers) is able to control the Phoenix Force, even if briefly. Also, Captain Britain lost some of his flatness by putting himself out there and taking on the Phoenix Force basically alone. This is the first issue of Secret Avengers I have truly enjoyed since I picked up the series.

One main note though. I am getting tired of "dead" superheroes coming back to life, even if it is brief. There should be RARE occasions that this works well and should be done. It is so unbelievably overdone that it is hard to feel something when someone passes. If the purpose of comics is to tell a good story, have great art (which I feel this book had some pretty decent page spreads) and to allow the readers to completely connect with characters, then let characters DIE if that is what works for the story.

Okay, enough of my death rant. I do want to make one last mention before I close out this review. I have been trying my best to stay away from major spoilers but am finding that really hard to do. So, from now on I will include spoilers in my reviews but not to the extent that it will ruin the book if you decide to read it yourself.

On that note...I give Secret Avengers #28 a 8/10. Strong ending to a somewhat weak story.


No comments:

Post a Comment