Thursday, June 21, 2012

Spider-Man "Ends of the Earth" review

I want to start by saying this is a review for the whole series, not just Avenging Spider-Man #8. I will leave the last section for that review.

Anyhow...as I stated in an earlier post that "Ends of the Earth" drew me back into my favorite hero's world. It was full of action, strong pacing and even though I haven't read ANY Spider-Man comics in years, I was not lost. I was surprised to see how bad Doc Octopus' health had become but I liked what he decided to do on his way out, destroy the whole flipping planet!

Why not, right? If you wanted to be the last thing people remembered, if you didn't want the world to continue after you, why wouldn't you blow the whole sucker up? Well, that is how Doctor Octopus felt and with the help of the Sinister Six, he almost succeeded. It was great to see how much Spider-Man has grown as a fighter and how well he knows his enemies! The majority of the series is spent with him in a robotic outfit that was outfitted with a special item to deal with each of the members of the Sinister Six (Rhino, Mysterio, Chameleon, Electro, Sandman and Doctor Octopus.)

 Spidey fights with every fiber of his being and finally is able to stop the world from ending. Sadly, one of his companions bites the big one fighting Rhino (I don't want to ruin who...but if you ask directly I'll tell you.)

After all of this chaos, Spider-Man has to recoup and remember his fallen friends. This is where this weeks Avenging Spider-Man picks up.

Avenging Spider-Man #8

Writers: Ty Templeton with Dan Slott
Pencils: Matt Clark
Inks: Sean Parsons
Colors: Wil Quintana
Letterer: VC's Joe Caramagna
Publisher: Marvel Comics
Price: $3.99
Release Date: June 20th, 2012

Avenging Spider-Man could still be a stand-alone this week. It focuses almost completely on a back story dealing with the person who supposedly dies at the end of "Ends of the Earth". I have to admit, there were plenty of times that I caught myself cracking a smile or even a chuckle during this issue. For some reason when Spidey refers to Doctor Octopus as "Doctor Avacado!" (because he's a vegetable, get it?) I caught myself laughing quite hard. I am starting to get the vibe however, that if you are not a major Spider-Man fan, you may want to back off from this comic. His quirky one-liners and jumping back and forth from his main comic, Amazing Spider-Man makes it a little difficult to stay connected to this series.

In all reality, I still love this comic. There really hasn't been a week that has been a total disappointment and as long as that is the case, I will continue to pick it up.

I give Avenging Spider-Man by itself a 7/10.

I give "Ends of the Earth" a 9/10. Give it a read....it is worth your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment