Friday, November 8, 2013

Amazing X-Men #1

Writer: Jason Aaron
Penciler: Ed McGuinness
Inker: Dexter Vines
Colors: Marte Gracia
Letterer: Joe Caramagna
Price: $3.99
Release Date: November 6th, 2013

"The Quest for Nightcrawler, Part 1 of 5"

After Battle of the Atom I wasn't too stoked to grab another new X-Book. I also have been wavering on Aaron's writing on Wolverine and the X-Men for some time because of the silly feeling that exudes from the pages. That said, it was hard to not pick up a book that has Nightcrawler's mug on it.

Cracking open the first page, it was refreshing to see that Nightcrawler was still dead. I know, that sounds messed up, but how often do we get a clone or some sort of "I wasn't dead" moment in comics? Nightcrawler, sitting on the edge of heaven looking down into the real world was very interesting. There were references to him not being able to leave his life on Earth behind and it sent chills down my spine. I have always had a soft spot for the character and this moment reminded me why. Of course this peacefulness fell apart quickly and Nightcrawler's father, Azazel, appeared to take over the heavens and Nightcrawler needed help.

Warp to the Jean Grey school and get a peek on who the rest of the cast will be for the book. I am getting the feeling that this is to replace Astonishing X-Men where the focus is on the teachers rather than the students. One of my favorite moments in the school was the rage of Beast as he tried to get his coffee maker back from the Bamfs while uncovering the portal to heaven.

The addition of Firestar is interesting as well. I think having a fresh set of eyes on the school (along with Nightcrawler) could add a level of fun to the book. I am also interested to see if the girl that is in heaven with Nightcrawler will play a larger role in the book when all is said and done.

One issue in and I am definitely interested in where Aaron is going to take this title. There seems to be a lot getting set up and with Nightcrawler on board, it is hard to say no.

No comments:

Post a Comment