Saturday, November 2, 2013

Guardians of the Galaxy #8

Writer: Brian Michael Bendis
Consultant: Neil Gaiman
Art: Francesco Francavilla
Letterer: Cory Petit
Price: $3.99
Release Date: October 30th, 2013

I think it is interesting to look at this book as a tie-in to Infinity. I am sure having knowledge about what is going on matters, but it makes sense that Star Lord and team would be trying to stop Thanos from taking over the Earth regardless. If anything, this is the first Infinity crossover that snuck into my pull list that didn't feel just tacked on. Overall, it was a fun read.

That said, the art felt really off to me. I get that FF is a good artist and his work fits in many places but it felt off and a bit rushed here. There were panels that had zero background detail and were blurred. So far this book has felt crisp and it just lost that in this issue. I think that took a bit away for me when I closed the final pages.

The actual rescue mission of S.W.O.R.D. was fun and done well. Rocket had a few comedic lines and the conversation between Brant and Star Lord were humorous and felt incredibly natural. Bendis is doing a nice job making these characters feel like war-torn vets that can really handle the pressure of a serious situation. I think part of my enjoyment also is that I don't have much history with these characters and they are being freshly painted for me.

The closing of this issue was cool to see but not overly surprising. If anyone tells me they weren't expecting Angela to show her face again they are either A.) Lying or B.) need to be slapped. That said, I am still very interested to see where this title goes and if Bendis can keep it reigned as tightly as he has thus far. Here's hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment