Saturday, November 2, 2013

The Superior Spider-Man #20

Writer: Dan Slott
Penciler: Giuseppe Camuncoli
Inker: John Dell
Colorist: Antonio Fabela
Letterer: Chris Eliopoulos
Price: $3.99
Release Date: October 30th, 2013

Oh Dan Slott, you tease. You give us a cover of Spidey and Black Cat and then give us four pages of interaction...I loved it! I have heard a lot of people discussing their distaste for Slott always misdirecting his readers through the solicits, but I am the opposite. I think that we, as comic readers, are getting way too much information about books so that surprises are hardly that. I already know the majority of the New Warriors for their new book. I knew that Black Bolt was alive before it was clear because he is in the new Inhuman book AND I found out the X-Men Legacy was ending due to solicits. Sometimes, it is more fun to be left in the dark.

Now, it wasn't a complete misdirection because Felicia was in the book, she just simply got her face punched in. I think Slott handled the Ock/Felicia relationship well because there was no way he would act to her the same way Peter did in the past. The rest of the issue dealt with Otto spiraling more toward the darkness that awaits him. He tries to take a bit of a shortcut for his doctorate, which doesn't work out; he continues to try to hide himself, which is failing; and so much more.

Slott has a lot of moving gears in this story and there are plenty of things that can go awry for our "hero" in the coming issues. No matter how controversial this "Freaky Friday" setup for the series is, I am loving it. The handling of a different Spider-Man that is ultimately causing all of the good in Peter's life to go away makes sense. I know that Peter will return in the future, there are plenty of hints; but I will not be upset if we get SpOck for a little while longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment