Saturday, November 2, 2013

X-Men: Battle of the Atom #2

Writer: Jason Aaron
Pencilers:  Esad Ribic w/Giuseppe Camuncoli
Finishes: Andrew Currie and Tom Palmer
Colorists: Ive Svorcina w/ Andres Mossa & Guru eFX
Epilogue 1: Jason Aaron, Giuseppe Camuncoli, Andrew Currie & Matt Milla
Epilogue 2: Brian Wood, Kristopher Anka & Matt Milla
Epilogue 3: Jason Aaron, Chris Bachalo, Mark Irwin, Victor Olazaba & Matt Milla
Epilogue 4: Brian Michael Bendis, Stuart Immonen, Wave Von Grawbadger & Matt Milla
Letterer: Joe Caramagna
Price: $3.99
Release Date: October 30th, 2013

"Battle of the Atom, Part 10"

I think that this event basically ended as I expected. It set up for future events in X-books while not making any real and massive changes. The only X-members that "died" were from the future so it didn't really pull on my heartstrings. Hell, there were so many characters flying around in this event it was a bit difficult to tell who was who and from when by the time I closed the final pages.

On the final actual chapter, how many epilogues is too many epilogues? I know that there were a lot of characters but the closure given is each of them was hardly even that. The only one that actually mattered was the final one involving Kitty and the past X-Men. He choice is going to change the status quo for a while at least.

One of my largest griefs with the ending of this is that we never really learned why the Brotherhood was "evil". Were they doing evil things in the future or were they just trying to put Jean Grey and co back in time so that the future they know didn't exist. If that was all, is it truly evil? We are seeing all over the Marvel U. how bad it is to actually tamper with time and that is all the mutants seem to be doing these days.

Lastly, do we really need MORE X-Men from the future staying in the present? No, you say? Well damn, you are going to be sad. We have so many timelines overlapping now that it is truly impossible to follow.

I am sad to say that this event was about what I expected for a Bendis ending (for I still blame Bendis for the overall story, not Aaron's final chapter). There was incredible potential and some fun squeezed in the middle. It definitely wasn't bad like Age of Ultron, but it also wasn't needed. I will be happy for my X-books to go back to the way they were feeling before and for me to enjoy Bendis' work here again. Here's hoping Nightcrawler's return next week isn't handled this poorly. I'd hate to freak out and drop all of my X-books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment