Thursday, August 15, 2013

Wolverine and the X-Men #34

Writer: Jason Aaron
Pencils: Nick Bradshaw
Inks: Walden Wong
Colorist: Laura Martin
Letterer: Clayton Cowles
Publisher: Marvel Comics
Price: $3.99
Release Date: August 14th, 2013

"The Hellfire Saga Part 4"

This recent arc in Wolverine and the X-Men has made me uncertain. I had basically given up on this title but decided to stick with it through the Children of the Atom event coming up but I am starting to remember what I liked about it in the first place. There are undercurrents of comedy in serious situations (specifically Doop in this issue with his "Home Movies") and at the same time there is a lot of emotion present.

This issue focused on the teachers of the Jean Grey School coming to stop the Hellfire Academy from being a thing. They storm the school using their Krakoa as well as Ice-Man creating a giant, Voltron looking, ice-robot to try to handle Kade's Krakoas. In all reality, this issue was just a giant fight. There are a few exchanges between people that needed to happen but it was just a lot of fists flying around. I am not saying that is a bad thing, I am just saying that is what it was.

The thing that is concerning is that Kade is still so certain that he is winning when everything seems to be a loss. I know that this will be answered in the final issue of this arc that is coming soon, but it leaves me questioning. I think that is what is renewing my faith with this title. The fact that I am still thinking about the events and trying to figure out what they mean means that there is actually some story to enjoy here. Hopefully that means that we are back on an upward swing and I can start enjoying Aaron's work here again. Only time will truly tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment