Friday, July 27, 2012

Venom #21

Story: Cullen Bun and Rick Remender
Art: Lan Medina
Publisher: Marvel Comics
Price: $2.99
Release Date: July 25th, 2012

I need to start out by just talking about Flash Thompson as Venom. I LOVE the direction with this character and I feel that Remender has had an amazing run with this series. I like that Flash is a hero...but not one that is afraid to kill someone. He, much like Kaine as the Scarlet Spider, gives a look into how Peter Parker could have played his role as Spider-Man but chose to be a good guy.

I don't want to waste a ton of time catching up with the story of Venom thus far but there has been a major focus on Crime Master and Jack-o-Lantern. The past three issues lead up to Part 4 with the Savage Six which is issue #21...all I can say is if you can get your hands on the first 20 issues, try to...it is good stuff.

Anyhow, the appearance of Toxin as part of the Savage Six and the reveal of who Crime Master really is becomes the main focus for this issue...oh that and Flash trying to get Betty back to the real world in one piece.

The comic is well written and although I have been hearing a lot of complaints as to how Lan Medina is portraying Toxin I have to disagree. Toxin is a savage symbiote that doesn't have a set form so it makes sense that he takes up a ton of space and doesn't always maintain the same shape as in previous pages.

Anyhow, this is not completely the conclusion...Jack-O-Lantern still needs to be dealt with in issue #22 so I am quite excited to see how it plays out. Venom has been enjoyable to read and this issue was no different. I am sad to hear Remender is leaving but am hopeful that Bun will keep up the pace.

I give Venom #21 a 8.5/10. Give it a read!

No comments:

Post a Comment