Friday, January 18, 2013

All-New X-Men #6

Writer: Brian Michael Bendis
Artist: David Marquez
Color Art: Marte Gracia
Letterer: Cory Petit
Publisher: Marvel Comics (Dan Buckley)
Price: $3.99
Release Date: January 16th, 2013

Wow, this book is really picking up pace. I have to admit that I am not surprised that there is such a heavy focus on Jean Grey but I am a bit surprised that Kitty Pryde is getting so much play. It is sort of cool seeing the two ladies who once knew each other so well start their relationship all over again. I am also enjoying watching Jean learn how to control her powers that she has just discovered. Bendis is doing a nice job showing her struggle and the page layouts of her not able to filter her telepathy are really cool.

I am also finding that the relationship between Wolverine and young Scott Summers is interesting. I like that even though Scott doesn't really know Logan, he isn't a fan and, as always, Wolverine is not a fan of Scott. Their short scuff is definitely fun to see and makes the reader wonder how long Scott is going to even stay with the team and if he wont perhaps join his other self.

Also, I think that the introduction of Angel to...well...Angel was done nicely. I think that this may relieve a bit of Warren's initial worry (considering he thought he may be dead) and to be fair, I love this current iteration of Angel and I think it will be fun to see him interact with his younger self which he no longer remembers.

Lastly, I think it would be a crime to not mention the art in this book. Marquez's work in this issue kept my eye dancing across the page to no end, causing me to flip back to previous pages to make sure I didn't miss anything. He keeps the fight scenes clean with sharp lines to draw focus while calmer moments he fills the panels with excitement.

It is hard to really find things to complain about so far with this title. Bendis and his team are consistently giving me a good book to read twice a month. If he is able to keep this up I may have found a good, long running X-title to keep my attention. 

No comments:

Post a Comment