Saturday, January 26, 2013

Gambit #8

Writer: James Asmus
Penciler: Pasqual Ferry with David Baldeon and Clay Mann
Inker: Pasqual Ferry & Scott Hanna with Jordi Tarragona & Clay Mann
Colorer: Rachelle Rosenberg
Letterer: Cory Petit
Publisher: Marvel Comics (Dan Buckley)
Price: $2.99
Release Date: January 23rd, 2013

"Forever Endeavor"

It seems it is time for Gambit to take a break from his thievery and time to be a hero again, at least for an issue. Gambit has found his way to the Forever City to save a group of college kids from, well he isn't really certain. It seems that there are highly evolved monster/animals that are hunting these kids which is making it impossible for them to leave the city. Alone, Gambit works his way into the city to save the kids and try to make his way out without getting anyone killed.

The issue was actually a bit enjoyable considering I was starting to pull away from this title. I am starting to feel the normal struggle that Gambit has being a leading man in a comic. He is really likeable out the gate but he soon starts to feel like a one trick pony. He is always barely escaping everything but for some reason always seems to have known the best way to get out and is always quick to push off the concept of being a hero. It doesn't help that he seems obsessed with Joelle still from the earlier issues (which she makes a cameo at the end) and it also seems she will be back in it faster than really necessary. I would like to see Gambit get into some more moments with other mutants, maybe the future contains that.

Regardless, there were some solid moments in this issue but I feel everything wrapped up too neatly at the end. Much like with Deadpool, I don't think this is a bad comic. I just think that my interests may start to be drawing away from it. I intend to give it another issue or two before I make a final decision but I have a feeling Gambit is going to fall off of my pull list in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment