Sunday, January 13, 2013

The Superior Spider-Man #1

Writer: Dan Slott
Artist: Ryan Stegman
Color: Edgar Delgado
Letterer: Chris Eliopoulos
Publisher: Marvel Comics (Dan Buckley)
Price: $3.99
Release Date: January 9th, 2013

"Hero or Menace?"

I have to intro this as I have the past few Spider-Man comics; there are spoilers here from ASM #698 - 700. If you do not know anything about the events in those comics and you care (which to be fair at this point if you don't know them you probably don't care) you need to stop reading thing now.

Okay, with that out of the way...this is our first issue of Spider-Man as Otto Octavius. There is a lot here just dealing with him getting used to the day-to-day life of Peter Parker and how he feels he should change it. The issue begins with him paying his respects to Otto...err...Peter...err...the body in the ground! There we go...anyhow, it starts there and quickly transitions to him battling the group of villains that are calling themselves the Sinister Six. This, of course, makes Otto not too happy.

Other than fighting the Sinister Six, we get to see Otto, in Peter's body, go on a date with M.J. I think it was done really well. He is definitely not the Peter we are used to and he is quite pervy. It makes you feel as if people will definitely begin to notice something is up, and they should notice it soon. I also feel that the date was handled well due to the fact that there is a lot of buzz on the net that the whole relationship feels a little like rape. It is true that Otto is not Peter and M.J. think he is, but nothing affectionate happened so that is good.

The final fight at the end of the book with the Sinister Six was amazing. Otto shows how more thought out he is than Peter and that he is ready for anything...sort of. He does lose his cool and almost kill someone but he is stopped by something. Something that is a buzz on the internet and is a glorious closing page for a comic that should relieve some of the other readers that are not happy with the direction that the book is going and at the same time anger others. I am indifferent for now and will leave the final page a mystery for those of you who did not read it. Just know that the direction that this comic is going may not be the direction you initially thought it to be.

Anyhow, I must say that I enjoyed reading this quite a bit. There is a lot to enjoy about it and I am actually excited about the final page. I know that Jonny, who I do the podcast with, thinks it is ridiculous but I understand where Dan Slott is going and I trust Slott. I am excited for this book and will readily pick up each issue as it hits the shelves at my comic shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment