Sunday, January 13, 2013

Secret Avengers #36

Writer: Rick Remender
Artist: Matteo Scalera
Color: Matthew Wilson
Letters: Clayton Cowles
Publisher: Marvel Comics (Dan Buckley)
Price: $3.99
Release Date: January 9th, 2013

"Grandfather Clock"

With this being one of the last two issues of Remender's run on Secret Avengers I am finally getting excited about this arc. The beginning of the book was a bit weak..I think the whole universe 666 thing was pretty lame and the escape was quick and relatively pointless. I just don't think it was necessary or done very well. The world that Beast, Captain Britain and Hawkeye return to on the other hand is quite cool.

This issue is riddled with action in a world that is crumbling. Everything that was going on with the Descendants is coming to fruition and we even get to see Hank Pym again for the first time since he was converted a few issues back. Just when it starts to feel like the tide may be turning for the heroes things get messy again and it leaves the ending open. This is even with Flash going crazy and basically turning into the Venom everyone remembers, big, burly and out of control.

The final page shows the cliched image of the heroes on their last legs, getting ready for their final moments alive. There is no doubt that this is going to quickly turn around and the heroes will win. I guess I am just not feeling the stress on these pages. As I said earlier, I did enjoy this issue. There were many good moments and beautifully penned fights. I just feel like Remender lost something in this final arc. It is almost as if he doesn't care about it as much as he did earlier. Alas, in one more issue I will have dropped this title even though there is a new writer. I continue to say farewell to Avengers titles and look to the future for other books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment