Friday, February 1, 2013

Hawkeye #7

Writer: Matt Fraction
Artists: Steve Lieber & Jesse Hamm
Colorist: Matt Hollingsworth
Letterer: Chris Eliopoulos
Publisher: Marvel Comics (Dan Buckley)
Price: $2.99
Release Date: January 30th, 2013

I want to start by saying that this issue is worth buying. Not just because the issue was great (it was) or because I am a fanboy (which I am becoming) but because the proceeds go to the Red Cross to help those still suffering from hurricane Sandy. Not only is it a good way to donate to a cause that needs you, you also get a great story out of it.

The first half of the issue focuses on Clint and one of the people in his apartment building, Grills. If you don't remember Grills, he is the overweight fellow that wears the hat and calls Clint "Hawkguy". The story is a piece that deals with human nature, struggling with family and inclement weather (the whole issue takes place during the hurricane) and getting to really know your neighbor. It is incredibly emotionally charged and you gain a new liking for Grills by the end of it.

The second story focuses on Kate who has a wedding to attend the same night as Clint helping out Grills. There are humorous interactions between Clint and Kate at the beginning before it just focuses on her story. Of course the hurricane hits the wedding hard and Kate is forced to go out into Jersey to find medicine for a woman that needs it or she will perish. Once again, this story focuses on human nature and how people may actually come together during a catastrophe.

When I closed this issue I caught myself smiling as I ALWAYS do at the end of this title. Seven issues in and I have yet to be let down. I feel like a broken record when I say this but if you aren't reading this yet, you had better get on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment