Thursday, February 7, 2013

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #20

Writer: Brian Michael Bendis
Art: Sara Pichelli
Colors: Justin Ponsor
Lettering: Cory Petit
Publisher: Marvel Comics (Dan Buckley)
Price $3.99
Release Date: February 06th. 2013

I won't lie, I have been excited at the thought of seeing Ultimate Venom find his way back into this title and it is sure to be something vicious. The initial fight shows that Miles is still not quite ready for the big guns but has to find a way to be and quickly. He is so focused on what Peter did that he isn't allowing himself any personal growth as a hero.

The actual fight with Venom was great. Miles' constant struggle to figure out how to best use his powers is wonderful. I also like that he sometimes forgets that he has the spider sting because it wasn't a normal Spider-Man power.

As always there were small joke moments mixed in with the seriousness of this issue which is something Bendis has always done well with this title. The use of Ganke as Miles' scientist is great because Ganke isn't as skilled as any other scientist used in a Spidey title. My only issue with this story is I am afraid that Bendis is trying to start draw a parallel between Miles' father and Uncle Ben. 

I am excited to see where Bendis is taking this Venom war. I see a ton of potential here and Bendis has yet to let me down in the Ultimate Universe, I hope he doesn't start now. Also I think it would be a crime to not mention Sara Pichelli's art in this book. She captures human emotion so incredibly well and I love the way she forms Venom.

No comments:

Post a Comment