Friday, February 1, 2013

X-Men Legacy #5

Writer: Simon Spurrier
Penciler: Jorge Molina
Inkers; Norman Lee & Craig Yeung with Walden Wong
Colorist: Rachelle Rosenberg
Letterer: Cory Petit
Publisher: Marvel Comics (Dan Buckley)
Price: $2.99
Release Date: January 30th, 2013

It is official. This is currently my favorite X-title. This issue just sealed the deal for me. As I said in my pull post, I had a little bit of a problem finding this book so my expectations were incredibly high. My expectations were quickly surpassed and then blown out of the water as I shut the back cover.

This issue picks up with David trying to contact his mother but quickly chickens out. He then decides to rectify the damage he had done to Blindfold in the previous issue. Instead of him just walking up to the Jean Grey School, he decides to try to take control over more of his personalities to create a distraction (you'll have to read to see the distraction) and use telepathy to communicate with Blindfold if at all possible.

I loved the fact that instead of having David contact Blindfold directly, he goes into her memories to see what is haunting her and we receive her back story that way. It felt as if we were truly getting into the mind of Blindfold and seeing why she is as "off" as she is. Her story was incredibly captivating and I felt really bad for her by the end of it. She is another character that I wasn't super familiar with before reading this comic and Spurrier quickly made me not only start to like her, but become interested in her.

The amazing thing about this issue is what I have already mentioned wasn't even the best part. By the end of the issue I was in the know as to who the creature was that David ran into before meeting the children (see the previous two issues), why he kept seeing eyeballs in surprising places and why things just seemed to conveniently happen to him. Last night while finishing the issue I noticed my jaw dropped as I stared at the last page reveal. I flipped back through earlier pages to make sure I read everything right. I am quickly realizing the Spurrier has a great understanding on what makes a mutant comic fresh and I know I will keep coming back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment