Friday, July 10, 2015

The Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows #2

Writer: Dan Slott
Artist: Adam Kubert
Inker: John Dell
Colorist: Justin Ponsor

"Part 2: 'Because I Said So, That's Why.'"

Sadly I was still on my hiatus when the first issue of this series dropped so I didn't get to express my initial shock as to how good it really was. Dan Slott constantly surprises me with his Spider-Man stories, and I know that isn't always a popular opinion. This look into Peter Parker's life if he had still had a child, was still married to Mary Jane and also gave up being Spider-Man to protect his family, is beyond interesting.

The last issue left us with the fact that Spidey allowed for Venom to die to better protect his family and that he had given up the suit. This issue moves us a bit further into the timeline where Peter is still working for J.Jonah but is paid to not release his photos of superhero fights rather than to sell them to the paper to run. The world is controlled by a villain called Regent who has stolen the powers of all the other heroes he has defeated to make himself more powerful. Lastly, the Parker's girl, Annie, is showing that she has powers herself and is trying to hide them so that Regent doesn't come after her.

There are some really nice nods to old Spider-Man stories during the book and even a Power Pack reference during a school scene. I really don't want to ruin the whole thing, but it looks like Spidey should be back in full swing (get it??? Puns...oye) in the next issue. 


Rating: 9/10 - Pick of the Week!

No comments:

Post a Comment