Saturday, September 8, 2012

Amazing Spider-Man #1-12

As I said in my "Weekly Pull" post I am starting a major undertaking which is to read EVERY ISSUE of Amazing Spider-Man. I have already started this venture and am 12 issues deep. So far it is about what I expected which is campy and cheesy yet well written and obviously Stan Lee's work.

There are a couple amazing things I would like to note about the first handful of issues. In issue #11 we get to see what was recently referenced in an issue of Venom during the reveal of who Crimemaster really was. I think it is amazing that writers have kept story points going for over forty years!

Also, it is really cool to see the real origin stories of a lot of the characters I have grown to love over the years. The first time Peter fights Doctor Octopus he is definitely not ready for a real super villain. The Lizard starts out in Florida just hanging out with Lizards and trying to regrow his arm. Electro is still a ridiculous thief and The Vulture was one of Spidey's first villains. It is also cool to see that Peter has always been inventing things to make his fights go easier and that he was always smart enough during fights to learn details about his enemies.

I am not regretting my decision to read these comics yet. Each issue is a full story told and I have yet to see the cursed "to be continued..." at the end of an issue. Stan Lee is a masterful story teller and I am excited to see stories that I know nothing about happen. I also know that here soon I will get to meet Gwen Stacy and Betty Brant will no longer be his main love interest. Oh, did I forget to mention that Flash Thompson's love interest used to be Peter's? Yeah, he was too busy with Liz to notice Betty...also Betty was a high school dropout who worked for the Daily Bugle! Crazy stuff.

Anyhow, I know this post seems like gentle rambling of a somewhat intelligent man but that is the only way I am going to be able to do these Amazing Spider-Man posts. If I am just reading the comics for enjoyment I won't be dissecting them too much but love to share some cool key points that I come across. I hope to continue to read at least ten issues a week and will be able to rant about them to you, my lovely readers, after I do my reviews for that week.

Well, until then everyone. Happy comic reading and remember to not be afraid to post comments here. I love responding to my readers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment