Saturday, September 15, 2012

Scarlet Spider #9

Writer: Chris Yost
Pencils: Khoi Pham
Inks: Palmer, Soto and Ketcham
Colors: Delgado, Soto and Fabela
Letterer: VC's Clayton Cowles
Publisher: Marvel Comics (Dan Buckley)
Price: $2.99
Release Date: September 12th, 2012

"The Second Master: Part Three"

This is the final part of Kaine working with The Rangers and I can't say that I am upset. I am still not jumping on the bandwagon of liking the Rangers....but to be fair, neither is Kaine. 

The fight with Mammon finally happens in this issue but it was sort of scattered. I normally really enjoy the fight sequences in Scarlet Spider but there were a few moments that I had to go back into frames to make sure I understood what happened. There is a moment mid-issue where Kaine jumps into Mammon to grab someone out of the energy source and to free them from being drained but him actually jumping into the beast is scattered...it was almost as if he teleported from next to the rangers to the other side of the creature. I know this seems a little nitpicky but I have started to get high expectations from this title. 

On that note though, I am not saying I didn't like this issue. Kaine is starting to get very annoyed with being a hero but just can't seem to help himself and keeps doing the things he doesn't want to. He puts his life on the line for others and continues to build his own personality which I love. I am glad that this arc is done and that Kaine is not a part of the Rangers...that may have made me drop this title...

On a very bright note, next month's issue will be part of the Minimum Carnage story which should be great. If you are interested in that here are the release dates:

Minimum Carnage Alpha                   10/03
Scarlet Spider #10                             10/10
Venom #26                                        10/17
Three weeks of what could be a great series. ANYHOW, I give this issue a 7/10 which I think may be my lowest for Scarlet Spider. I guess every month can't be a piece of gold....

No comments:

Post a Comment