Thursday, October 3, 2013

All-New X-Men Special #1

Writer: Mike Costa
Penciler: Kris Anka
Inker: Kris Anka
Colorist: Jordie Bellaire
Letterer: Cory Petit
Price: $4.99
Release Date: October 2nd, 2013

"Elegy in the Classroom/The Arms of the Octopus: Part 1 of 3"

I really didn't know what to expect from this title. I knew it had something to do with Doctor Octopus but I didn't know how they intended to use him. Were they going to ignore the fact that Otto was in the body of Peter? Would this be yet ANOTHER dimension for me to somehow keep track of? Regardless, I jumped in with both feet with decent expectations.

I have to admit that my expectations were met. They answered the question about Otto being Spider-Man almost as quickly as Doctor Octopus showed up. Superior Spider-Man is definitely there and not happy to see a version of his old self bouncing around. Regardless, I am getting ahead of myself.

The first part of the book is a nice taste of the past X-Men wandering around New York City and reacting to how different it really is from the time they came from. If anything, there is amazing character interactions that show how their relationships have grown and, at the same time, stayed the same as the X-Men we remember from the past. McCoy, while following around a lady, finds his way to his old college and professor (Dr. David June) who is ironically (I suppose) studying time travel. This is when we get an angry Doctor Octopus that seems to want Doctor David June to help him. A fight quickly ensues and Spider-Man joins the fray after seeing his old body moving around.

At the end of everything there are a lot of questions. Is this Otto from the past? Why is he full of radiation? What can they do with him? With these question, the book closes with Spider-Man requesting help from S.H.I.E.L.D. and Bruce Banner to answer these riddles. I must admit, this mini-series has my attention AND I am excited to see that it seems to be canon.

No comments:

Post a Comment