Friday, October 18, 2013

Hawkeye #13

Writer: Matt Fraction
Penciler: David Aja
Colorist: Matt Hollingsworth
Letterer: Chris Eliopoulos
Price: $2.99
Release Date: October 16th, 2013

"The U in Funeral"

I am so happy this book is back in my hands. After the hiatus of Hawkeye, I was starting to forget why I loved the book so much. I knew there was something special about it, but I read so many comics that it was hard to grasp what that was. This issue reminded me exactly why this has been one of my favorite books in a long time.

This issue deals with the fallout of the death of Clint's neighbor Grills. There are no fights, there are no explosions, there are only emotions. Clint is not dealing with the death well and, for obvious reasons, blames himself. Clint seems very broken and there really doesn't seem to be much that anyone can do to fix him. There is even a moment where Kate tells him that as long as they had one another, they would be able to survive anything in which Clint responded by falling asleep next to her. There is no question why Kate left him to go to California.

Aja and Hollingsworth do something amazing with the art and layout of the book that helps the reader experience the cluttered and confused emotion of Clint. Every panel is close, each room seems a mess and Clint always seems to be shown alone. The final page where it zooms out of the lonely Clint at the edge of his building brought me to care deeply for the guy. He is alone, even when he is surrounded by people that actually care about him.

Next issue promises to show us what Kate is up to with a new artist at the helm. I will miss Aja but am intrigued to see another art direction with the Kate story. Regardless, I love this book and stand by all of my earlier statements that this is the Marvel book to read. If you are not reading it, do yourself a favor and start, now.

No comments:

Post a Comment