Friday, October 18, 2013

X-Men Legacy #18

Writer: Simon Spurrier
Penciler: Khoi Pham
Inkers: Khoi Pan with Jay Leisten
Colorist: Rachelle Rosenberg
Letterer: Cory Petit
Price: $2.99
Release Date: October 16th, 2013

"Wear the Grudge Like A Crown Part Three"

I have to start by saying that I am really sad after reading through some of the January 2014 solicits. I learned that this book is "racing toward its conclusion" and seems to be ending in February or March. With that said, Spurrier is saying that he has some rather large and good news but is unable to spill the beans as of now. I hope it has to do with David getting another solo book or that Spurrier is getting another Marvel title. Otherwise I am just sad.

Before tackling the book I need to take a moment to discuss the covers to this series. If you flip through all 18 books, you will see some of the most fantastic cover art for a book. It is vibrant, interesting and just weird, which I love. The weirdness of the cover gives you a slight window as to what the issue may be about. This issue has an image of Scott Summers and Emma Frost pumping up a brain with a tire pump. This is a glimpse into the mind trip that this issue was.

When we last left David, he had become the World Worm and was ready to consume the mutant race, or so we thought. He actually was using one of his many powers to confuse everyone around him to see what he wanted them to see to draw out Ruth's brother. This ultimately ends up backfiring when David crumples at the end by released the weird internal version of his father into the real world.

One of my favorite moments in this issue is when he tells Scott that he doesn't actually have an issue with him. He mentions that it would be insanely hypocritical to hate Scott for doing something that he had done himself in the past. This continues to show that David has become much more balanced while still being insane.

I know the final few issues of this series will have David and Ruth going after the evil Xavier from David's mind and I know that Ruth could still potentially have to kill her boyfriend. I love the characters in this book and am still surprised to say that a book about Legion has made its way into my top five comics for the past year. Simon Spurrier is a genius writer who gives life to characters that used to feel dead to me. I really do hope that Marvel gives him a chance with another book, otherwise I feel I will continue to follow him to Boom! studios and wherever else his work takes him.

No comments:

Post a Comment