Friday, October 25, 2013

Wolverine and the X-Men #37

Writer: Jason Aaron
Penciler: Giuseppe Camuncoli
Inker: Andrew Currie
Colorists: Matt Milla and Israel Silva
Letterer: Clayton Cowles
Price: $3.99
Release Date: October 23rd, 2013

"Battle of the Atom, Chapter 9"

We are coming into the ending of Battle of the Atom and there are still a lot of questions left to be answered. I am happy that Aaron finally approached some of them (why there are so many Ice Men, various identities of future X-Men) while left some of the main ones (why Xorn and Xavier are so damned evil) alone. I know that Dazzler gets nuked in the future, but is that the main reason they are the way that they are? If so, that seems like a bit of a weak plot point considering how much they have gone through. Would that really be the straw that broke the camel's back for the X-Men? I find it hard to believe.

The normal comedy that Aaron tries to tie into his books is present here (little snide remarks from Wolvie, Xavier crippled) and it luckily doesn't take away from the large fight. I am also interested in how the team is going to deal with the cliffhanger from the final page but have some idea and hope it isn't as lamely handled as I feel it may be.

Overall, I feel that this event has been lacking a little and I feel that the constant tease for more information got old around the fifth chapter. Storytelling doesn't have to be all about cliffhangers and weak foreshadowing, it can have real content. Regardless, there is a lot that needs to be covered in the final issue next week and I really do hope that it is handled well. If it isn't, I feel like this is a large missed opportunity and will be a major letdown for mutant fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment