Thursday, October 3, 2013

Marvel Knights Spider-Man #1

Writer: Matt Kindt
Penciler: Marco Rudy
Inker: Marco Rudy
Colorist: Val Staples
Letterer: Clayton Cowles
Price: $3.99
Release Date: October 2nd, 2013

"99 Problems... One of Five"

This book was....crazy. I think crazy is the word I am looking for. First, it is key to mention that this is Peter Parker, not Otto. It also seems to take place a long while ago or just simply out of continuity of the rest of the Marvel Universe. That said, it is insane as hell.

Before going into the actual story I have to say that the book is a work of art. Each page is full of minute details that cause you to stare at the page for a while. Sometimes it is to clear up confusion, sometimes it is just to see every crazy piece that is going on. Rudy just blew my mind with his frantic style that actually fit quite well for the majority of the book considering it was a big dream sequence.

The story is just as crazy as the artwork. Peter takes on an assignment to take some pictures and enters a mansion that contains a tortured Madam Web (the old one) and instantly spirals into insanity. He seems to be under some sort of gas from Jack-o-Lantern and because of that somehow took a pill from Arcade? Yeah...Jack-o-Lantern, Arcade, the Beetle, Morbius...the list goes on and on. It seems everything is beating on poor Peter and it is impossible to tell what is reality and what is some sort of trippy nightmare. I think that is one of the reasons I am so interested in the book, because I am not sure what is actually happening.

With the mass confusion that is this title, I can't say it is for everyone. It is weird, unclear but damn fun to read. It is trippy and experimental and really different. The bad is that you can walk away from the book and ask "what the hell just happened" and not be able to get a real answer. Hopefully future issues clear it up a bit so that I can recommend it. For now, I offer caution to those picking this up and hopefully you can enjoy it like I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment