Friday, October 18, 2013

Six-Gun Gorilla #5

Writer: Simon Spurrier
Artist: Jeff Stokely
Colorist: Andre May
Letterer: Steve Wands
Price: $3.99
Release Date: October 16th, 2013

"Episode 5: And Those Who Dig"

Wow, just wow. This comic has been so incredible, confusing and all consuming that it is hard to put down. I was so angry last week when I learned that issue was pushed back to this week but it was well worth the wait. Just when everything in the book seemed to be falling into a neat pile at my feet that I understood, a new curve ball was chucked at me and I loved it.

After Blue figures out his reason for being on the Blister and accepts his fate, the tumble-squids take over his mind and induce a sort of living nightmare. In this nightmare he sees strange flashes of his life mixed with the stories he used to absorb himself with while working at the library. It formed a sort of trippy dream sequence that basically reflected the confusion as to what the world is to Blue. It seems that the dream sequence was put into place to teach Blue a key lesson about the Blister and that it isn't all reality.

Now, the whole basis that the Blister is a mix between reality and subconscious is incredibly interesting and still a little bit of a guess on my part. It is true that Blue and Partner discuss something along those lines leading into the final pages of the issue, but it is still unclear. It is also a little unclear as to what exactly Partner is. Is he a figment of Blue's imagination from a story he read brought to life or is he something more? Only one more issue and I am sure Spurrier will not let me down.

Oh, I also think it would be a crime to not discuss Stokely's crazy vision of the story. His art reflects the unstable situation of Blue's mind and the fracturing of the world around him. I feel that he was the perfect choice to work on this book. Anyhow, I am done gushing. Go find a copy of the first five issues of this if you haven't already so you can be ready to enjoy issue six with me next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment