Friday, October 25, 2013

Venom #42

Writer: Cullen Bunn
Penciler: Jorge Coelho
Inker: Jorge Coelho
Colorist: Lee Loughridge
Letterer: Joe Caramagna
Price: $2.99
Release Date: October 23rd, 2013

"Mania: Conclusion"

Well, this is it. The final issue of Venom. Of course there are a lot of things left unanswered and there is always that wanting of more. I really don't know how I feel about the closing chapter of this book. I know Venom is to return in Superior Spider-Man in the next month or so for some kind of arc and I am pretty certain that Flash will not be in the costume much longer but none of that is explained here.

This issue is basically a "deal with the devil" issue. Flash knows how to reach Mephisto and he wants to get the mark removed from Andi and to just get the whole ordeal put behind him. Of course it isn't that easy and they are still being hunted by Crossbones so a fight breaks out. For some reason (Mephisto claims because he wanted to) Mephisto helps Flash and Andi handle Crossbones and his team and then explains how she is no the one that is marked. He also explains that it was never Flash that was marked but rather the Symbiote itself.

With those moments passing, we are left with Flash and Andi embracing one another in a caring manner while figuratively embracing for whatever is to come. I can't say that the ending was perfect or even great, but it was sufficient. There are new roads open for people to take these characters and an underlying story that can appear somewhere else in the Marvel Universe. I am sure Andi will appear again (if not with Venom in Superior Spider-Man) and we have to find out who is to replace Mephisto when he "retires". If not, I think there is something missed there.

I have had a love/hate relationship with Venom since Bunn and his team took the reigns but am happy I stuck it out. I hope that whatever direction they take the character in the future is good and just not some silly way to get Peter back in the flagship book. Now I will wait patiently till Superior Spider-Man #25 to see Flash again.

No comments:

Post a Comment