Friday, October 18, 2013

Indestructible Hulk Special #1

Writer: Mike Costa
Penciler: Jake Wyatt
Inker: Jake Wyatt
Colorist: Jordie Bellaire
Letterer: Cory Petit
Price: $4.99
Release Date: October 16th, 2013

"For a friend whose work has come to triumph"

I am really surprised how much I am enjoying this little mini-series. I mentioned in the All-New X-Men Special review that the story sort of surprised me because there was solid characterization and this issue did much of the same. The shining start this time around is Bruce Banner, not the Hulk. Bruce quickly jumps into trying to figure out what is going on with the Doctor Octopus that appeared out of no where. He mentions how much he loves the smell of paper in a lab and how rebuilding and learning things with limited resources is a blast. The only thing that caught me a bit off guard with him was he mentions how he is surprised by Spider-Man's knowledge of the sciences. I swear they worked together in the past but maybe that is something that was wiped away during Brand New Day.

Anyhow, the storytelling in this issue is wonderful. There is danger, there is villainy and there is Abomination! Oh, and did I mention puppies? There are puppies too. The story is really starting to amp up and we are finally starting to get clued into what is really happening with the Doctor Octopus that appeared.

Even though this story isn't going to have an overall influence on the main Marvel U, I am not upset that I am picking it up. It has been fun to see the original X-Men interact with other heroes from the current timeline and to see Superior Spider-Man interact with a version of his old self. The handling of Doc Ock by Spider-Man is priceless. I am very excited for the last issue coming in the next two weeks and will be sure to grab it up quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment