Friday, May 3, 2013

All-New X-Men #11

Writer: Brian Michael Bendis
Penciler: Stuart Immonen
Inker: Wade Von Grawbadger
Color Artist: Marte Gracia
Letterer: Cory Petit
Publisher: Marvel Comics (Dan Buckley)
Price: $3.99
Release Date: May 1st, 2013

I feel that the cover and focus of the first part of this issue wasn't really needed. The whole "who is leaving the team" thing was already answered in Uncanny X-Men and was not really a surprise. Granted, we learn a little as to why Warren left with Scott and his team, but I didn't feel that it needed as much focus as it got. I know it was necessary to show why Jean loses it a bit but it could have been done in half the pages that it took.

I do like the way that Bendis is portraying Jean. Other than her struggles with the Phoenix, she has always seemed to have her stuff together. I am liking that a younger mutant, she isn't certain how to handle things and is not handling them as well as she would have if Charles Xavier were still around. I am also enjoying the growth of her relationship with Kitty Pryde.

I am still really interested to see what exactly Mystique is up to. Her attacks around America that are being pinned on the original X-Men has to be leading to a bigger plan but I am not sure what. Is it just to keep the Avengers busy or is there more to it? I hate to theorize about it so I wont, I will just continue to wait with anticipation.

Bendis' work with X-Men has been quite enjoyable thus far. He has brought a breath of fresh air into something that was beginning to feel stale. I just hope that he can keep up the pace with the immense amount of writing that he has to do every month.

No comments:

Post a Comment