Friday, May 3, 2013

Hawkeye #10

Writer: Matt Fraction
Artist: Francesco Francavilla
Letterers: Chris Eliopoulos & Clayton Cowles
Publisher: Marvel Comics (Dan Buckley)
Price: $2.99
Release Date: May 1st, 2013

I have to admit that initially I was a little let down with this issue. On my first read I really wanted some form of closure over the cliffhanger of the last issue. I didn't think it was a bad issue at all at that point, I am just still shaken from the events on the rooftop that this issue also ends with.

After a second read I have to say that I love this issue. It isn't too often that we get to dive into a "villain"'s history so quickly after being introduced to him. Kazimierz Kazimierczak feels sympathetic out the gate. His family was murdered and his family business was destroyed in front of him. Soon after his brother, his only living family member is also taken away from an explosion. It makes complete sense that he would turn to a life of crime and murder to get back at people for the hardship that was his life.

The thing that is terrifying is that he actually interacts with Kate Bishop before his act on the rooftop (still don't want to spoil it) and it seems he was actually there to kill Clint. I am beyond excited to see where this arc is taking us. Fraction is doing something with this book that should not be overlooked. There is a reason I have loved this title since the beginning and there is no way I am putting it down any time soon.

Before I finish this, I believe it is criminal to not mention Francavilla's amazing art that blends so well with the story as well ass Eliopoulos and Cowles letter work. Every page fits so neatly and flows so well that the book is fun to read. This is overall an incredible book and I am mad that I initially was let down. I am glad I don't always go with my first impression.

No comments:

Post a Comment