Friday, May 17, 2013

Wolverine and the X-Men #29

Writer: Jason Aaron
Artist: Ramon Perez
Colorist: Laura Martin
Letterer: Joe Caramagna
Publisher: Marvel Comics (Dan Buckley)
Price: $3.99
Release Date: May 15th, 2013

"Key to the Future"

This issue screamed filler to me more than any other book I have read in a long time. I get the point that Aaron wanted us to see that somehow everyone makes it through to at least 25 years later but was it really necessary? Logan is still hiding his past from his friends, the students are still students and Logan gives another speech about how he isn't great at giving speeches.

Yes, we are seeing growth of Logan as an educator. Yes, we are seeing the students of the school becoming closer and becoming actual classmates. The thing is, this could have been done a lot more naturally than some sort of chopped future Logan wanting to warn past Logan that things are about to go to crap. Of course things are about to go to crap, they are X-Men.

I am not saying the issue was a bad read. It really wasn't. I just didn't feel the necessity of it while we are all waiting for the Hellfire Academy stuff to start. I am happy that in the last few pages we saw another staff member of the school get recruited and another student added to the roster but that was all. I have really been teetering on this X-title for a while now and am starting to lose my extreme attachment to it. I really hope this next arc kicks me out of this funk which I do have faith will happen. Fingers crossed, this was my favorite book for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment