Friday, May 17, 2013

Gambit #12

Writer: James Asmus
Pencilers: Clay Mann, Dexter Soy & Leonard Kirk
Inkers: Clay Mann, Dexter Soy & Jay Leinstein
Colorer: Rachelle Rosenberg
Letterer: Cory Petit
Publisher: Marvel Comics (Dan Buckley)
Price: $2.99
Release date: May 15th, 2013

"Tombstone Blues"

Have I really been clinging to a Gambit title for twelve issues now? Sheesh...LUCKILY I was not let down with this issue. There was finally plenty of interaction with Rogue, we learn the last little bit to what the hell is going on with Joelle and get a little closure on most of the first true arc of the book. Well, other than the cliffhanger ending.

All of the pieces to the game meet up at the hospital where Joelle's daughter is dying just as Tombstone is getting kicked out of a window. The heroes split, Gambit to fight Tombstone and get back the potential weapon that he has and Rogue to stop Joelle from...well being Joelle. The fight between Gambit and Tombstone is fun and quick. It is great to see how resourceful he is against a foe that he really has no chance of beating head to head.

The conversation between Rogue and Joelle is well done and finally clues us in to exactly what she is about. I did feel that the final moments between Joelle and Gambit felt a little rushed bit it did tie her story up in a neat little bow. I am also happy to see that the chemical weapon that they found was taken care of...

Honestly, I am debating dropping this still but the cliffhanger with Fence is keeping me on. This issue was definitely the strongest we have gotten in a while as well so it is giving me enough to go on. Regardless, I wont be surprised if I drop Asmus' book soon to make room for something that piques my interest a bit more.

2 comments:

  1. I never started with Gambit, since he is such a boring character to start with (and i really hate french ppl *gg*) - but your review sounds like it was a good choice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the french....I do concur that normally I would dodge a Gambit book like the plague BUT this hasn't been an overall failure. Actually, there have been a lot of great moments in the story. It is just not enough to feel above and beyond all of the other books I am reading. Regardless, your choice to skip it wasn't a bad one.

      Delete