Thursday, June 20, 2013

Age of Ultron #10

Writer: Brian Michael Bendis
Artists: Alex Maleev, Bryan Hith & Paul Neary, Butch Guice, Brandon Peterson, Carlos Pacheco & Roger Bonet w/ Tom Palmer, David Marquez, Joe Quesada
Color Artists: Paul Mounts & Richard Isanove
Letterer: Cory Petit
Price: $3.99
Release Date: June 19th, 2013

Finally we get the conclusion to an event that has been a bit short of enjoyable through the duration. Regardless of that, there are some things that are well done in this final issue. This review requires me to use spoilers so if you want to stay away from them until you read it, please stop reading now.

The first thing I liked about this book is that we finally see how Ultron actually came back and started his attack on the Earth. Granted, we are seeing an edited version that Pym and the rest of the Avengers were a bit prepared for but at least we see the before Age of Ultron moment. The handling of Ultron was not surprising considering in earlier issues we already saw a conversation between Pym and Wolverine discussing what they were going to do, so it felt a bit stretched out and not needed to be explained a second time.

I was a little sad to see Ultron go down so quickly. If anything could have been stretched during this event, it could have been that fight. I know a lot of people reading this event was waiting for Ultron and it was a bit sad to see him taken care of in ten pages. I guess the point was that he had to be dealt with quickly, but this story could have been told much more quickly.

The thing that was to shock the whole Marvel Universe was also not surprising. It had been mentioned throughout the last few issues that Wolverine and Sue Storm's bouncing around within the timeline could cause a fracture between universes. So, when the final jump happened I wasn't surprised to see a crack in the timelines. I have to admit, I was happy to get a little tease of Miles Morales standing in front of Galactus but I find it hard to want to read another Age of Ultron book (Hunger) plainly based on my love for Miles.

I also can't forget to mention Angela. They have been teasing that she would be introduced during this event and she was, but it wasn't anything amazing. Shocker, she slipped in through the fractured timelines and is not happy to have been brought in. I just hope that she isn't ridiculous and is actually a good added member to The Guardians of the Galaxy and not a one trick pony.

Overall, this ending wasn't terrible but I feel like a broken record saying that. The whole event was sub-par and predictable. It felt dragged on and just sort of there. If you want to read it, see if you can find a sucker like me who already purchased it. If you can't find someone who did that is willing to lend it to you, wait for the trade, then wait for the trade to drop in price a little. I am sad to say that overall this event was mediocre. I had high hopes. Hopefully Infinity will be better...but I am pretty certain I will take a break from events during that and wait for a trade.

No comments:

Post a Comment