Thursday, June 20, 2013

X-Men Legacy #12

Writer: Simon Spurrier
Breakdowns: Paul Davidson
Finishes: Jay Leisten
Colorist: Cris Peter
Letterer: Cory Petit
Price: $2.99
Release Date: June 19th, 2013

"Invasive Exotic Part Three"

It is no secret that this has been one of my favorite titles over the past year. Simon Spurrier is making me love characters that have no reason to spark much interest in me. This issue continues to show me why I love this book so much.

We left off with David about to take a pill to basically put him in a comatose state so that he can't use his powers which is offered to him by the Institute of Bio-Social Studies (I.B.S.S.)which we found out last issue was run by Red Skull. Spurrier led us to believe that David wanted to go through with this no matter what to stop the future that he saw and chance having to kill the girl that he has fallen in love with, Ruth (Blindfold).

It ends up, David had no plan of taking the pill and he actually planned for the rescue that Ruth was putting together for him. His overall mission was to take down  the I.B.S.S. by allowing himself to be televised taking the pill (while not actually taking it) and using Santi Sardina to be there to take credit for everything that happened. If you don't remember, Santi's super power is to take credit for everything. After the team accidentally killed the crippled figure head of the I.B.S.S., Santi's presence confuses watchers so much that no one cares and hates mutants less overall.

The battle that ensues between the X-Men (David included) and Red Skull is great. We get a little more of David's internal struggle and he pays back the debt to his inner power that he had fallen into in previous issues. It all ties together neatly in the end, giving hope to Ruth and David's relationship and showing that he is regaining power of himself.

Twelve issues in and I am still impressed. Spurrier so easily throws me off of the scent of his story and yet keeps me so interested that it is impossible to put down. I crave this book monthly and honestly wish it came out twice a month. I know that is asking for a lot and I would hate to see the quality drop due to that; so for now, I will enjoy this book as I get it and I hope to see it never end.

No comments:

Post a Comment