Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Superior Spider-Man #11

Writer: Dan Slott
Script: Christos Gage
Penciler: Giuseppe Camuncoli
Inker: John Dell
Color Art: Edgar Delgado
Letterer: Chris Eliopoulos
Price: $3.99
Release Date: June 05th, 2013

"No Escape Part One: A Lock For Every Key"

I have been a backer of this story since the very beginning. I have been running into a lot of people recently asking me what is the point of this story and why Slott thought it was necessary to kill off Peter Parker. The thing is, I am not Dan Slott, I do not know what he is thinking but I definitely have a strong idea of what the purpose of this book is.

The purpose seems to be what it means to be a hero and if someone that was originally a villain is ever able to truly overcome what it was that made them a villain and become a complete hero. I feel that this issue does an incredible job analyzing that idea by pairing Otto against Smythe. The references back to the killing of Massacre and the fact that Otto wants to be at Smythe's execution shows that he still has the thing inside of him that made him a villain. It is true that he is doing more good than bad at this point, but there is still something inside of him that makes him Doctor Octopus.

I think on top of the inevitable direction in this book of people figuring out that Peter isn't Peter and that Spidey is someone else is just a thin outer layer of the true story that is lying beneath it all. Each book has been an interesting look into Otto trying to find himself in his new role while at the same time being fun and showing the life of Peter Parker through the eyes of another man. I am excited to see the conclusion to the Smythe battle that is coming in the next issue and I am excited to see how Otto will continue to deal with his life as Peter Parker.

Slott's work here is something that has to be looked at as a whole. Read his final run with Peter, read these first 11 issues and try to say that there isn't something good here. If you feel that way, I'd love to hear why.

No comments:

Post a Comment