Tuesday, June 4, 2013

X-Men #1

Writer: Brian Wood
Penciler: Olivier Coipel
Inkers: Mark Morales & Olivier Coipel
Colorist: Laura Martin
Letterer: Joe Caramagna
Price: $3.99
Release Date: May 29th, 2013

"Primer Part 1 of 3"

I won't lie, I wasn't excited for this title at all. First, I am not what you would call a fan of Jubilee as a character. I guess I just never connected to teenage girl angst and Jubilee has always felt full of it. Seeing her on the cover was my first step back. Then the fact that it was being touted as an "all-girl" book seemed to be the main focus instead of a strong story. Alas, seeing Brian Wood's name on the cover and the solid artwork made me take a second glance, then a third, and finally I paid for it.

That said, this was not a perfect first issue. There are a lot of questions for people who do not know the characters. If you are new to X-Men, you will not already know Jubilee is a vampire or that Rogue has to borrow powers so that she can fly and have super strength. You don't understand the connections between the characters or even that Jubilee doesn't have a baby. Regardless of that or if you know that information, there is a lot to enjoy.

The characters act as if they know each other very well (which they do). They fight like a well oiled machine and do well with minimal verbal communication. The scene with the ladies getting Jubilee from the train was magnificent.

I am glad I gave this book a shot. I hope that things start to level out a little and more explanation is added in coming issues but overall it was a good start to the series for people who already know and love X-Men. If this is your first rodeo...maybe check out All-New X-Men in the early issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment