Thursday, June 13, 2013

Venom #36

Writer: Cullen Bunn
Artist: Pepe Larraz
Color Art: Lee Loughridge
Letters: Joe Caramagna
Price: $2.99
Release Date: June 12th, 2013

"Simple"

Finally I am enjoying this title again. I think what was killing me was I had incredibly high expectations for what Toxin was going to do and I was let down. I feel like what is happening now is what we really needed. We are getting a chance to see Flash start to live his life and find his place in Philadelphia.

It was fun to see Flash figure out his day to day and how to not be overly tired while at work. He is finding a happy medium between being a superhero and a teacher. It seems that he still has the symbiote somewhat under control (other than one dodgeball incident) and his life is actually starting to fall into place. That is what is good, seeing Flash as a person more so than just Venom. I think that is what I really enjoyed about Remender's run that I wasn't feeling with Bunn at the helm. Regardless, that is starting to feel remedied.

Even though Flash is starting to get his stuff together, it seems Philadelphia is not. There is a lot of drugs and even a little surprise at the end of the book. The common thug enemy of Ogre is well placed and it is good to not see a super-villain. I think this is going to help further develop Flash as well.

Lastly, I have to say that Larraz and Loughridge's art and color blend incredibly well with this story. I think the cartoonish yet dark form helps draw me into the book. I am really, really happy that I decided to stick with this title and hope that it continues to get better. Flash has the potential to be an incredibly interesting hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment