Friday, September 6, 2013

X-Men: Battle of the Atom #1

Writer: Brian Michael Bendis
Pencilers: Frank Cho and Stuart Immonen
Inkers: Frank Cho and Wade Von Grawbadger
Colorist: Marte Gracia
Letterer: Joe Caramagna
Price: $3.99
Release Date: September 04th, 2013

"Battle of the Atom, Chapter 1"

There is so much time travel going on in the Marvel Universe that it makes my head hurt. Seriously. I didn't really know what the story of Battle of the Atom was supposed to be because I was trying my hardest to hide from the solicits. I am getting tired of having everything ruined for me before I even start reading. The only thing I glimpsed from this is that Nightcrawler is supposed to somehow return.

Anyhow, that is not what the first issue was about. We are shown a glimpse of what would happen if one of the past X-Men died. Shocker, the current day member will just vanish. I am not saying that is a terrible idea, it is just very cliched. I understand why Bendis showed it but I don't even think that was the main purpose of that moment in the book. I think the main purpose was to show that Triage can potentially revive the dead. Anyhow, that bit was intriguing

With the plot point in place of if a past X-Man dies the world changes, it is easy to decide to send the kids back to their time. This is when things get a little off. A group of future X-Men blast through the portal first to tell them to do exactly what they were about to do. So now we have three versions of X-Men teams which makes at least multiple versions of various heroes that make things confusing and really hard to write about. I don't know exactly where this is going but I am not discouraged. We have quite a few issues left in this event and at least there aren't a ton of extra books for me to buy this time around. I just hope Bendis doesn't let me down like he did with Age of Ultron. Here's hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment