Friday, September 6, 2013

X-Men Legacy #16

Writer: Simon Spurrier
Artist: Paul Davidson
Colorist: Rachelle Rosenberg
Letterer: Cory Petit
Price: $2.99
Release Date: September 04th, 2013

"Wear the Grudge Like a Crow"

I am not completely certain what David's game is, but it seems that he wants to get a little revenge for his father's death. This issue has him (and Ruth) confront Scott's X-Team head-on. The beginning of the issue (only a handful of pages) shows him searching the world for Scott and when he finally finds him, he attacks.

There is not a ton to say about this issue other than it was a little out of character for this book thus far due to the high level of fighting that happened. Spurrier doesn't tend to spend a lot of time in action scenes but rather spend them with conversation, emotional battles and really solid comedic moments. I walked away from this issue remembering a fight which is not something I normally say about this title. I am not saying that it was a bad thing, it wasn't. The fight was done incredibly well and the way that David handled everything fit with his personality that I was hooked.

The reason I am not sure what David's overall plan is reflects his choice at the end of the book. Instead of just ripping Scott apart (which he is more than capable of doing), he decides to fight him in hand to hand combat. The reality is, Scott is a much better scrapper than David and he is bound to lose. So why is he choosing to do it that way? What is his angle? Why isn't Ruth stopping him? The fact that I am so brimming with questions and wanting to know the answers (which I have to wait a freggin month), proves to me that Spurrier is able to keep me on my feet with this book again and again. There is no question why this has been my pick of the month quite a few times and why I am always excited to see where it is going. I can't wait to see the rest of this fight and I can't wait to see what David's plan really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment