Friday, September 20, 2013

X-Men Legacy #17

Writer: Simon Spurrier
Artist: Khoi Pham
Color Artist: Rachelle Rosenberg
Letterer: Cory Petit
Price: $2.99
Release Date: September 18th, 2013

"Wear the Grudge Like a Crown: Part Two" 

Two Simon Spurrier books in one week? That is awesome. This guy keeps blowing my mind. I think he is going to start being one of those writers that if I see his name on a new book I will instantly snatch it up, even if I know nothing about the title. I am aware of his Crossed book and I have read some of the online stuff but I afraid to start the comic release for I feel I will be lost.

Anyhow, this issue is part two of the fight between David Haller and Scott Summers. It isn't even the fight that makes it incredible. It is the fact that David is treating the readers as if we are one of the many voices in his head. He is explaining his actions throughout the book and basically how he feels about them. He has some incredible insights as to how people think fights are because of Hollywood and then how they are in reality.

The fight, the physical part at least, ends as David figures it would with Scott pounding him into a pulp. Regardless, David ends up using his powers a bit which causes Scott to respond in kind, knocking David back into one of the new mutants (I can't remember their name...), the one that is sort of like Morph from the old cartoon, and it starts a chain reaction to create the monster that he and Ruth were afraid he would become because it is meant to destroy the mutant race. With Magik's sword in hand, Ruth prepares to do the one thing she never wanted to do when her brother, newly armored and ready to brawl, shows up to stop her.

EVERYTHING about this book has me on edge. I thought that nothing would top Six-Gun Gorilla this month but I was wrong. Damn Spurrier, you rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment