Sunday, December 2, 2012

New Avengers #34

Writer: Brian Michael Bendis
Aritst: Mike Deodato
Color: Rain Beredo
Letterer: Joe Caramagna
Publisher: Marvel Comics (Dan Buckley)
Price: $4.99
Release Date: November 28th, 2012

"End Times: The Finale"

I have to admit that this arc went out with a bang. Basically the whole over-sized issue was a fight between Doctor Strange and the demon who had all of the other Avengers possessed. There is a cool moment early in the issue where on each page of the fight the artist changes to sort of reflect the craziness of the battle. I think it was a good use of jam artists. It also became abundantly clear that the whole purpose of this arc was to show Doctor Strange's growth as a sorcerer and that he will do anything for his world.
The end of the fight was done well and if you like Doctor Strange at all you should give it a read AND I refuse to spoil the ending because it is good enough to read. There is also the "final" farewell of Luke Cage leaving the team to go off with his wife. There is a mention of "Heroes for Hire" which makes me wonder if that title is one of the still unnamed Marvel NOW titles that are still on their way.

All-in-all this was a good ending to a mediocre arc. Much like with The Avengers, I think I gave New Avengers enough of a chance and will be bowing out from reading it on a twice a month basis. I am also uncertain about the whole Illuminati feel of the title starting next month with the new #1. It is sad and a tad relieving to know that I have now dropped two titles. Sadly, I am sure they will be replaced as quickly as they vanished.

1 comment:

  1. I read somewhere that there will in fact be a new "Heroes for Hire" title in 2013 with Luke Cage ..

    I was suprised they didn't bring back Victoria Hand in the end .. i really expected her to live again - but at least it was expressed in the title itself, which was kind-of funny

    ReplyDelete