Saturday, March 16, 2013

Avenging Spider-Man #18

Writer: Christopher Yost
Artist: Marco Checchetto
Colorist: Rachelle Rosenberg
Letterer: Joe Caramagna
Publisher: Marvel Comics (Dan Buckley)
Price: $3.99
Release Date: March 13th, 2013

I have to admit that coming into this issue I didn't know what to think. I have only recently started to enjoy Thor at all (due to my reading of Thor God of Thunder digitally) and I didn't think that Electro would be that interesting fighting against someone who can control him. I was very mistaken.

The recent issues of Avenging Spider-Man have been surprising. Yost has done a great job keeping the Otto feel to his Peter Parker and there is actually seeming to be a story growing within the pages which is not what this book ever really was. It always felt like a one-shot, team-up book which was the purpose. It is still definitely a team-up book but Otto is up to something and this issue added to it.

The fight between Electro and Thor was epic. Electro went through a quantum conversion that basically made it impossible for Thor to control him (and made him insanely unstable). Thor, being a god after all, ignored Spidey's warnings and tried to take on Electro anyhow. It didn't go very well and Otto actually ended up saving the world again. Just when you start thinking that he is completely a good guy he does something fishy though. He is collecting something (which I don't want to spoil yet because I want to see where Yost is going with it), and I think it is something bad.

On top of a great story, a solid fight and nice interactions between Spidey and Thor, the art of this book by Checchetto was gorgeous. Spidey was clean, Thor was appropriately sized and there was a ton of electricity dancing over the pages. This book keeps surprising me and I am beyond happy I didn't listen to my comic guy about dropping it. Right now is a good time to be a Spider-Man fanboy.

No comments:

Post a Comment