Thursday, March 7, 2013

Guardians of the Galaxy 0.1

Writer: Brian Michael Bendis
Penciler: Steve McNiven
Inker: John Dell
Colors: Justin Ponsor
Letterer: Cory Petit
Publisher: Marvel Comics (Dan Buckley)
Price: $3.99
Release Date: February 27th, 2013


Going into this issue I really didn't know what to expect. I have never really read Guardians of the Galaxy, I really don't know the characters and to be fair I have never really cared. Regardless of all of this, my comic shop owner Jon slid it into my pull list and would not take no for an answer. Initially I felt a little robbed and sad until I opened the issue.

The first thing that jumped out was the art. It is so clean, bright and vivid that I caught myself smiling and actually start to lean a little closer to the page to let my eyes absorb the small details. Even space seemed to have been thought out to spread over the heads of the characters. Once I got over the surprise of the art I let myself fall into the story of Star Lord.

As I said earlier, I don't know any of these characters well and was excited to get an actual introduction to them. How Star Lord became the man of the universe that he is and the fact that he is half human was told in such a vivid way that I feel like I have known him for ages. I hope that Bendis does this with the other team members of the book so that I feel as connected to them.

I have to bow to my shop owner and tell him that he actually made a solid recommendation. I truly enjoyed this book and am thrilled to see what is coming with issue #1. Bendis has not been letting me down since he turned his attention toward X-Men and now it seems he has another book on my radar. It is a good time to be a fan of Marvel.

No comments:

Post a Comment