Saturday, November 24, 2012

Amazing Spider-Man #698

Writer: Dan Slott
Artist: Richard Elson
Colorist: Antonio Fabela
Letterer: Chris Eliopoulos
Publisher: Marvel Comics (Dan Buckley)
Price: $3.99
Release Date: November 21st, 2012

"Dying Wish Prelude: Day in the Life"

First, if you have any love for Spidey I want to remind everyone that this is supposedly Peter Parker's last arc. Dan Slott has been building toward this moment for ages and man, it starts out with a bang. It seems that I am getting ahead of myself and I should really preface this entry a little differently. If you love Spidey, if you love comics, heck, if you want a good read at all PICK UP THIS ISSUE (if you can find a copy).

Richard Elson brings life to the page that is on par with my favorite Humberto Ramos, and I think he was a great choice for this first issue. We get to see Spidey living his day to day life and being quite happy with it. Things are really looking up for him. He still has MJ in his life, he is working at Horizon, Aunt May is bouncing back after her injury, life is good. 

It is a known fact that when life is good for Peter Parker, something bad is going to happen. Doctor Octopus is going into his last few moments of life at The Raft and Peter is called to be there because he is asking for him, by real name. This is a big deal and even if you look at the cover you see Octavius saying "Peter Parker" so you saw it coming. What you don't see coming is.....well....frick. I really don't want to spoil it. I think it is important for people to read this issue. I will not, however, be able to contain myself by next issue when talking about the major twist that falls on the last couple pages of this book. 

There is a lot to love here and a lot to be angry about depending on what type of comic reader you are. I trust Dan Slott and what he has done with Spidey for his run so I trust these final issues of Amazing Spider-Man to be good reading. Remember, a twist isn't always a bad thing. There was once a blonde who Peter loved whose neck snapped, Peter Parker used to have six arms...things happen in comics, people get mad. Just remember that we are all in it for the ride, that is what makes good story telling.

No comments:

Post a Comment