Saturday, November 24, 2012

Avengers #34

Writer: Brian Michael Bendis
Artists: Brandon Peterson, Mike Mayhew, Terry Dodson & Rachel Dodson
Colors: Jason Keith with Laura Martin & Paul Mounts
Letters: Cory Petit
Publisher: Marvel Comics (Dan Buckley)
Price: $4.99
Release Date: November 21st, 2012

"End Times, The Finale"

Wait, we're still in the Microverse? Sheesh...The main focus of this issue is the battle in the Microverse with Gouzar. The Avengers are struggling to win while in the normalverse, S.H.I.E.L.D. and the remaining Avengers try to decide how to get into the Microverse to help their friends. They decide that finding Pym Particles to shrink themselves down will be the best bet. Wonderman quickly appears with said particles and joins the fray inside the Microverse.

Reading that last paragraph makes me look insane. Lots of made up words in there it seems. Regardless, with a bit of a whimper of storytelling, the Avengers somehow leave the Microverse bringing Janet back to the real world. There is a bit of a battle quickly after this return in which the Avengers way out numbered their foe and drop him easily. 

The arc ends the way that it has played out from the beginning, a bit weak. A party is thrown to welcome Janet back and it ends with Cap and Tony talking about what to do next with the Avengers. With a bit of cheese, Tony closes the issue with a "We go bigger" comment and Bendis' run with The Avengers ends. 

I am not saying it was a terrible issue, it wasn't. There is a lot to love in here: Good art, pretty decent writing, a giant fight with great spreads, but it hasn't really connected me to the Avengers to a point that I want to keep following them. I find the collection of the world's most powerful heroes a little hard to enjoy reading. I think the reason I like X-Men so much is that the heroes aren't polished like they are here. Who knows...maybe in a few months I will return to The Avengers, but for now, I am taking my leave with Bendis.

No comments:

Post a Comment