Saturday, November 17, 2012

X-Men Legacy #1

Writer: Simon Spurrier
Penciler: Tan Eng Huat
Inker: Craig Yeung
Colorist: Jose Villarrubia
Letterer: Cory Petit
Publisher: Marvel Comics (Dan Buckley)
Price: $2.99
Release Date: November 14th, 2012

"Prodigal"

Before I even jump into the comic's story I have to make a comment about the art. I was a little shaky out the gate but have come to find that the watercolor-esque style of the book was insanely fitting for such an unbalanced character. I feel that the art wasn't super focused also showed how unfocused the new lead character for this book, Legion aka David Haller aka Charles Xavier's son, truly is. 
Going into this I had no idea what had happened to David considering I stopped reading comics for such a long time and the last I knew he was dealing with his powers. It seems that his dad dropped him off somewhere in Himalayan India where he is with others that have problems. For those of you who don't remember David's power set...well that is because it is kind of crazy. He has multiple personalities poured into his head, each of which has their own superpowers which makes him crazy powerful and crazy insane. I think that this combination could make for one crazy series.

On that, because David is insane the comic is written that way. If I read it correctly, I think that the incredibly watercolor moments take place in his mind where he is holding back all of his other personalities and powers while the other part is the real world. He loses his stability a bit toward the end of the issue due to his connection with his father and seeing him get killed and he wipes the floor with everyone around him. The issue ends with him standing in a crater waiting for the X-Men to come from him while in his brain everything seems to be in shambles.

If I followed everything correctly after my second read through, which I think I did, this comic has potential to be AMAZING. It is always fun to read a comic where the lead is unstable...I can't wait to see what Spurrier does with issue 2 later this month.


No comments:

Post a Comment