Friday, April 12, 2013

Age of Ultron #5

Writer: Brian Michael Bendis
Penciler: Bryan Hitch
Inker: Paul Neary
Colorist: Paul Mounts
Letterer: Cory Petit
Publisher: Marvel Comics (Dan Buckley)
Price: $3.99
Release Date: April 10th, 2013

Wow Bendis is taking his sweet time with this baby. I feel as if these first five issues could have easily been tied into two MAYBE three neat books without all of the superfluous items added. Alas, that isn't the way that things are done when it comes to Marvel events.

Now, I don't want to give off the wrong impression. I am not hating this event so far. I am actually starting to enjoy it quite a bit. There is a lot to like about the way that Bendis is portraying the apocalyptic world of Ultron wailing on 616. The heroes seem so frazzled and worn down that it is easy to relate to them and understand why they are going to the extremes that they are willing to to make the world return to the way it once was.

The flashback moment dealing with the Vision was nice but not really needed. We all already knew that the Avengers trusted the guy and knew that he was created by Ultron. I don't think we needed that pushed in our face (another reason I say this could have been summed up faster). I also find Nick Fury's bunker to be a little too convenient but I guess that is part of the suspension of disbelief that is reading comics.

Lastly, I am really starting to get over Wolverine being over-utilized in everything. I like the character and always have but why does he always have to be the center of some sort of opposition of another group? The reality is he isn't always right and it is a damn shame that he always seems to think he is and that it always seems necessary that writers want to put his opinion out there. I am sure the next issue is going to deal heavily with the concluding pages of this issue with Wolverine and the other heroes left behind from the main mission. It may turn out to be interesting and I have high hopes that it is, but this is the moment that is either going to make or break this event for me. Here's hoping it makes it.

No comments:

Post a Comment