Friday, April 5, 2013

Venom #33

Writer: Cullen Bunn
Artist: Declan Shalvey
Color Art: Lee Loughridge
Letters: Joe Caramagna
Publisher: Marvel Comics (Dan Buckley)
Price: $2.99
Release Date: April 4th. 2013

"Monsters Anonymous"

It is hard to believe that this Agent Venom series has run 33 issues already. I am not saying that because it is bad, it isn't. It is just rare for a secondary character from a series have such a successful comic. Also, I am really happy to say that the weak story arcs seem to be over and we are getting back to the good and dark stuff that I have always loved about this title.

Right away we get to see a little Toxin action battling the weird abomination that Flash was fighting in the last issue. Toxic and this creature are pretty violent and the fight is something to see. It doesn't come to a complete end so I am hopeful to see more fights and learn a little more about this thing. Actually, getting to know a little bit more about the thing is what Flash is trying to do when he contacts his old Avengers friend Hank McCoy. Of course Flash doesn't really want help but it seems that he needed to contact an old friend.

My original doubts about Flash going to Philadelphia are also squelched considering this town is ending up to be just as chaotic as New York for him. I also like the thought that anything that actually goes wrong will be completely up to Flash to handle because he doesn't have the same support he does back home. Lastly, I am excited to see Toxin being used again. Flash has recently struggled against Carnage and has had an encounter with Toxin in the past (with a different host) so I am intrigued to see how much he has grown as a hero.

I am beyond happy to be digging this book again and am very happy that I did not drop the title a couple months back when I was toying with the idea. I can't wait to see issue #34 and the fight between these two symbiotes that has been building up now for a couple months.

No comments:

Post a Comment