Monday, April 1, 2013

Fantastic Four #5 AU

Writer: Matt Fraction
Artist: Andre Araujo
Color Artist: Jose Villarrubia
Letterer: Clayton Cowles
Publisher: Marvel Comics (Dan Buckley)
Price: $3.99
Release Date: March 27th, 2013

I am not one to collect Fantastic Four but I figured grabbing the single issue tie-in wouldn't hurt me. I was correct in that assumption especially with Matt Fraction at the helm. This book answers the question of why is Sue Storm the only member of the team around in the main AoU books and how the team got back to Earth while they are supposed to be traveling the Universes to find a cure for whatever is happening to Reed and potentially everyone else on the team.

The presentation of the events in this book was done incredibly well. The team left a holographic message for Reed and Sue's children saying their goodbyes while layered in with the team fighting off hordes of Ultrons. Even in this issue by the time we get to see Earth it is already devastated by Ultron and many heroes are already dead. I still am scratching my head as to how this is going on in the main universe and how we are ever going to get back to the norm considering the other main titles are still running beside this.

Anyhow, it speaks levels for Fraction's writing when I walk away from a book of characters that I have never really felt connected to and I actually had feeling of remorse for what happens. I don't think this book is necessary to get the full enjoyment out of the main AoU books but it is definitely a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment