Monday, April 1, 2013

Guardians of the Galaxy #1

Writer: Brian Michael Bendis
Penciler: Steve McNiven
Inker: John Dell
Colors: Justin Ponsor
Letterer: Cory Petit
Publisher: Marvel Comics (Dan Buckley)
Price: $3.99 ($2.99 at my comic shop since this was a "must read" title)
Release Date: March 27th, 2013

I am still surprised I am reading this book. First, I am not one to jump on a title that contains Iron Man. It isn't that I don't like Tony Stark, I do, I just am never really interested in titles that he is part of. Second, I am not familiar with any of the members of this team. Third, I am reading so much already that this title may make it overwhelming for me. Regardless I have this book and I am intrigued.

I have to admit that I am a little excited to read about a team I know nothing about. It is almost like being a little kid finding new superheroes that you may be able to relate to. I was overly impressed with the Point One issue and I have been enjoying the free Infinite comics on Comixology (if you aren't reading them, you should) because it is helping paint a complete picture of who these guys are and why they are a team.

This issue is set to get the ball rolling on the main story. Star-lord's father is up to something with Earth and he doesn't seem to want his son around. Of course this makes Star-lord (Peter Quill) want to return to Earth with his team quickly. Before that though, there is a bit of a space battle that allows the readers to see the team fight together, which they aren't as prepared for as you would think. I think it is good to see a group of heroes worse for wear after a battle that they technically win and that is what happens in this issue. It is making me like this team more.

I find it incredibly hard to believe that Bendis is writing so many books right now and that I have not been let down yet. I think leaving Avengers was the best thing the man ever did. I hope I can keep saying that for the months to come or my pull list will get significantly shorter. Regardless, I will be continuing my reading of Guardians of the Galaxy because there is a lot to love here and we are just at the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment