Friday, April 19, 2013

The Superior Spider-Man #8

Writer: Dan Slott
Penciler: Humberto Ramos
Inker: Victor Olazaba
Color Art: Edgar Delgado
Letterer: Chris Eliopoulos
Publisher: Marvel Comics (Dan Buckley)
Price: $3.99
Release Date: April 17th, 2013

"Troubled Mind Part Two: Proof Positive"

I have to start by saying that I am always thrilled when I see Humberto Ramos' name sprawled across the cover of a Spider-Man book. The man definitely knows his way around this hero and does some of my favorite work with Spidey. Okay, enough gushing.

We were left last time with Spidey about to fight The Avengers. The fight went pretty quickly and went in the direction I assumed but it was fun to watch. It is good to see that the spider-sense messes with even the greatest of heroes. I loved what Slott did with the analysis of Spidey's brain. It wasn't what I expected but was fitting. It is also fitting as to what the response of the Avengers was from what they figured out (no spoilers here...).

I am also really enjoying the way that Slott is trying to make Peter show himself while Otto is in control. The use of the right hand is genius and feels a bit realistic (especially the bit where no one really recognizes it). There is just so much going on with characterization here that it surprises me that people are still so angry about Slott's choice. This new direction for Spider-Man is making the base character insanely interesting while not letting you forget about the source material. Also if/when Peter takes control again it will make him that much more likeable all over again.

I want to close by saying I am beyond excited for what the next issue will hold. I don't want to ruin anything but it is a showdown that I don't think any Spidey fan will want to miss. I can't stress enough that if you gave up on this book after issue #1 that you really should give it another go. It has far surpassed my expectations and I grow more and more excited with each issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment