Friday, August 10, 2012

Gambit #1

Writer: James Asmus
Penciler: Clay Mann
Inker: Seth Mann
Colorist: Rachelle Rosenberg
Letterer: VC's Cory Petit
Publisher: Marvel Comics (Dan Buckley)
Price: $2.99
Release Date: August 8th, 2017

"Once a thief..." part one was....interesting. As I said before, after reading Hawkeye #1 last week I had really high expectations for what Marvel had planned for the ragin Cajun, Remy. We have seen solo comics with the title Gambit in the past and they were not so great. They never really focused on Gambit in a way that could let people really connect with him and they definitely did not play to his strengths.

That is not the case with this issue. This is the Gambit that we know and love from "The Jean Grey School for Gifted Youngsters" but he is off on his own. He has decided to try his hand at being a thief again in a way that he only steals from the bad. Not only that, but Asmus is also playing up his sex appeal which normally isn't touched on heavily. Hell, it opened with the guy showering....

I think this take on Remy could really go somewhere. I also have to note that the art is gorgeous! Each page is bright and filled with almost a water-color feel. I spent quite a few moments just staring at the small details (specifically when Remy was in the vault...).

I am intrigued...plain and simple. It is nice to not see Remy with the X-Men and off doing the thing that he started his career doing. I want to see where this goes and if the next issue (part two of this arc) will keep me as interested.

I give Gambit #1 a 8/10...engaging, pretty but not perfect....

No comments:

Post a Comment